RENAULT UK REPORTS RECORD 46 PER CENT SALES GROWTH YEAR-TO-DATE
Renault UK group car sales, including Renault and Dacia brands, for the 10-month period of January to October increased a record 46.1 per cent to 49,154 units, up from last year’s total of 33,640, according to SMMT figures released today. In the peak month of September and in October, the first peak period with the new Clio and all-new Captur crossover, retail car sales for the Renault brand increased by a record 32.1 per cent and a record 97.1 per cent for the group versus 2012; outpacing the retail car market growth of 14.9 per cent in the same period. In these two months, with the launch of Captur, the Renault brand increased its volume in the growing B-segment by a record 76.0 per cent.
Total group sales for October year-to-date, including vans, were 59,058 units, surpassing the 2012 Renault full-year total registrations of 55,685 units. Commenting on the results, Ken Ramirez, Renault UK Managing Director, said, “The milestone signals a clear turning point for the Renault group in the UK market and demonstrates the increased value of the franchise. The launch of Dacia this year certainly contributes significantly to this growth along with a renewed range of Renault models that have re-energised the brand. We owe our impressive growth to customers, both loyal and new to our brands, who continue to recognise the quality, appeal and value of our products.”
- Renault Group posts a car sales increase of 46.1 per cent for October year-to-date with a market share of 2.5 per cent compared to the same period last year (49,154 in volume compared to 1.9 per cent share and 33,640 units last year)
- Group car sales for the 10-month period have now exceeded the full year 2012 volume
- Retail car sales for the Renault Group for the same period jump a record 75.7 per cent to 3.4 per cent share (35,341 units compared to 2.3% share and 20,104 units last year)
- For the peak month of September and in October, retail car sales for the Group increased by 97.0 per cent compared to the same period last year (12,314 units compared to 6,248 units last year)
- Renault car sales for the first 10-month period reach 36,081 and a share of 1.8 per cent, an increase of 7.3% compared to the same period last year
- In the peak month of September and in October, retail car sales for the Renault brand increased by a record 32.1 per cent versus the same period last year
- In the same two months, with Clio, Captur and ZOE, Renault’s volume in the B segment increased by a record 76.0% against a segment increase of 7.7%
- Clio sales in the peak month of September and in October rank it in sixth place in the five-door retail B-segment
- Captur sales for the same peak month of September and in October put it in third place in the B-SUV segment, behind the Nissan Juke and Mini Countryman. It outsells Peugeot’s 2008 by more than two and a half times-to one. (3,085 sales compared to 1,225). 72.5 per cent of Captur sales are in the retail market
- Dacia sales reach 13,073 to date from the brand’s launch in January this year
- The brand launched with Duster and Sandero initially, with Sandero Stepway arriving in May and Logan MCV in September. It is the fastest growing brand to date this year.
- 96.8 per cent of Dacia sales are in the retail market where it has a share of 1.2 per cent year-to-date. It is also the fastest growing retail brand this year
- Duster sales total 6,677 to date. In the retail C-SUV segment, Duster is ranked in sixth position
- Sandero sales reach 4,507. Sandero Stepway launched in May and has totalled 1,738 sales to date
Expanding sales and more profitable business channels are reinforcing the Group’s upward trend, with the icing on the cake being multiple award wins and media recognition for both brands. A selection of plaudits throughout the year have included:
- Record quadruple haul at Scottish Car of the Year Awards: Small Car (Clio), Crossover (Captur), Electric Car (ZOE) and Budget Car (Dacia Sandero)
- Dacia Duster: Caravan Club Awards 2014 ‘Special Award’ and Towcar of the Year’s ‘Best Budget 4×4’
- Twin What Car? Awards ‘Best Buy’ category wins for Mégane Renaultsport 265 Cup – ‘Best Hot Hatch over £22,000‘ and Dacia Sandero – ‘Best Supermini under £12,000’
- BusinessCar “Techies” – ZOE – ‘Green Category’ winner and Captur – ‘Best Crossover’ – in the Next Green Car Awards
- Renault also scored twice at 2013 Fleet World Honours: Best Small Car and Technology Award
Most recently, a record seven Group models featured in The Sunday Times driving supplement ‘Top 100 Cars’ (Captur wasn’t listed, most likely as there was no Crossover category). Among the editorial comments were highlights such as:
- Clio and Sandero in Top 10 Superminis – “Choose the TCe and you’ll be reminded that Renault once made the best small cars in the world… it’s still the most fun standard French hatchback to go on sale for a decade or more.”
- ZOE in Top 10 Electric Cars & Hybrids – “…the car has much to recommend it. It’s the cutest hatchback powered by electricity.” Twizy also made the cut in the same category.
- Clio Renaultsport 200 Turbo EDC raced into Top 10 Hot Hatches & Coupes, with Grand Scénic earning a place in Top 10 MPVs.
- Duster – Top 10 4x4s – “Its greatest strength is that it shows up the many other soft-roaders for the over-priced, under-achievers that they are.”